Influenza vaccine manufacturing. Issue brief
Layton, C., & Lenfestey, N. (2005). Influenza vaccine manufacturing. Issue brief. (Prepared for Office of Science and Data Policy, Department of Health and Human Services, Washington, DC). Research Triangle Park, NC: RTI International.
Influenza vaccine manufacturers have experienced intense scrutiny in recent years. Uncertain demand, short turnaround in vaccine production, evolving regulatory requirements, rising production costs, and mergers and acquisitions represent a few of the challenges facing manufacturers in this dynamically changing industry. This issue brief provides an overview of the following areas:
- key issues facing influenza vaccine manufacturers;
- biology of the influenza virus and history of influenza vaccination;
- influenza manufacturing process;
- structure of the industry and nature of the influenza vaccine market; and
- factors that influence manufacturer decision making—quantity of vaccine produced, investments in new technologies, and entry into and exit from the U.S. influenza vaccine market.