RTI International has worked in Nigeria for over 25 years, providing technical assistance, institutional strengthening, program support, and research. In partnership with in-country institutions and the private sector, we lead and support efforts to improve:
- biodiversity conservation and environmental resilience
- education quality and outcomes
- energy access and equity
- food security, agriculture, and nutrition
- water resilience
- youth economic opportunities
- global health interventions, services, and systems
Our experience and recent project implementation include:
Education in Nigeria
- Decades of experience improving learning outcomes, including in early grade reading and math, teacher training, data systems, and community involvement in learning.
- Partner with the Center for Global Development and the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation to expand the collective knowledge about successful large-scale education programs.
- Lead implementer of the USAID Reading and Access Research Activity (RARA) to improve reading outcomes and education access in the early grades.
- Supported the Nigerian government to design and implement strategies to improve the standard of pre-service teacher training and support the continuing professional development of teachers.
- Improved access and use of education data for policy- and decision-making by providing technical assistance under two rounds of the Nigeria Education Data Survey (NEDS).
Energy in Nigeria
- Lead implementer of two USAID-funded programs to improve energy access to millions of households and businesses: Power Africa Off-Grid Program and East Africa Energy Program.
Environment and Water Resilience in Nigeria
- Led implementer of the USAID/Nigeria Effective Water, Sanitation and Hygiene Services (E-WASH), helped to improve the availability of clean water and sanitation in Nigeria’s poorest urban neighborhoods.
Economic Development in Nigeria
- Studied the economic impacts from subsea cables to understand how they changed the economy.
Food Security, Agriculture, and Nutrition in Nigeria
- Supported the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation to map the data and accountability landscape for nutrition in Nigeria.
- Led monitoring and evaluating activities for the Rockefeller Foundation’s Yieldwise Initiative, which helped to reduce post-harvest waste in sub-Saharan Africa, including in Nigeria.
Governance in Nigeria
- Built partnerships between state and local governments, civil society and the private sector to improve governance, accountability, and service delivery in Bauchi and Sokoto state through the USAID Leadership, Empowerment, Advocacy and Development (LEAD) program.
Health in Nigeria
- Support the national government to reach its control and elimination goals for neglected tropical diseases through proven, cost-effective public health interventions under the Act | East program.
- Pilot innovative technology to improve the supply chain of neglected tropical disease medicines in Nigeria.
- Leader in health systems strengthening and part of a consortium on the USAID Health Policy+ program, working to improve the enabling environment for sustainable health services with an emphasis on family planning and reproductive health (FP/RH), maternal and child health (MCH), and HIV and AIDS.
- Partner with the World Obesity Federation to develop a modeling framework to estimate the economic costs of obesity by country on a global level, including Nigeria.
Select Recent Project Experience in Nigeria
|Act to End Neglected Tropical Diseases | East||USAID||2018–2023|
|Power Africa Off-Grid Program||USAID||2018–2022|
|East Africa Energy Program||USAID||2018–2022|
|Effective Water, Sanitation and Hygiene Services (E-WASH)||USAID||2018–2022|
|Learning at Scale||Center for Global Development/ Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation||2019–2022|
|Health Policy Plus Project (HP+)||Palladium / USAID||2015–2022|
|Measuring the Economic Impact of Obesity||World Obesity Federation||2019–2021|
|Noncommunicable Diseases Investment Cases||United Nations Development Programme||2017–2021|
|Improving NTD Drug Management through the TraceRX Platform||Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation||2022-2027|
|Alive & Thrive Impact Evaluation in Nigeria||Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation||2016–2020|
|Nigeria School-based Deworming in Cross River State||Evidence Action||2016–2019|
|Teacher Development Program||Mott McDonald / U.K. Department for International Development (DFID)||2013–2019|
|Monitoring and Evaluation of the Rockefeller’s Foundation Waste and Spoilage Initiative (Yieldwise)||Rockefeller Foundation||2016–2018|
|Engendering Utilities Program||USAID||2013–2018|
|Nigeria Nutrition Data Landscaping||Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation||2016–2017|
|Leadership, Empowerment, Advocacy and Development (LEAD)||USAID||2009–2017|
|Nigeria Education Data Survey 2015 (NEDS 2015)||USAID||2013–2016|
|Reading and Access Research Activity||USAID||2014–2015|
|Nigeria Education Data Survey Project (NEDS II)||USAID||2013–2014|
|Indoor Residual Spraying (IRS 2)||USAID||2009–2014|
|Northern Education Initiative||Creative Associates / USAID||2009–2013|
|Nigeria Education Data Survey (NEDS)||USAID and DFID||2009–2011|
|Health Systems 20/20||Abt Associates / USAID||2006–2011|