Our experience and recent project implementation include:
Education in Kenya
- More than a decade working in partnership with the Kenyan Ministry of Education
- Lead implementer of the Tusome Early Grade Reading Activity which is supporting the Government of Kenya to improve the reading skills of 6.7 million students in public primary schools through carefully designed learning materials, proven teaching methodologies, and a tablet-based feedback and monitoring system (learn more about Tangerine).
- Partner with the Center for Global Development and the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation to expand the collective knowledge about successful large-scale education programs
- Evaluating the impact of five large-scale interventions increasing play-based activities in low- and middle-income countries, including Kenya, through the Play Accelerator research program.
- Increased measurement and implementation of school readiness programming for pre-primary children, including sufficient cognitive, physical, social, and emotional wellbeing through the Tayari Early Childhood Development Program.
Energy in Kenya
- Lead implementer of two USAID-funded programs to improve energy access to millions of households and businesses: the Power Africa Off-Grid Program and the Power Africa East Africa Energy Program
- Improved human resources policies and practices for seven electric utilities in five countries to increase gender equity through the Engendering Utilities program. The project also undertook a first-of-its-kind study to examine the role of women and gender disparities within electric power distribution companies.
Environment and Water Resilience in Kenya
- Partnered with the World Bank and Aurecon AMEI Limited to support Kenya’s Water Resource Agency (WRA) to strengthen water resources management and planning.
- Conducted a research study to understand the extent to which regional infrastructure (water, transportation, renewable energy) can support green growth in East Africa, in partnership with PricewaterhouseCoopers, with funding from the government of the United Kingdom.
- Assessed the performance of modeling approaches to estimate personal exposure to household air pollution in Kenyan homes.
Food Security and Agriculture in Kenya
- Lead implementer of the Feed the Future Kenya Crops and Dairy Market Systems Activity , working to strengthen market systems to increase the productivity and market potential of Kenya’s farms. Over 160,000 participants have benefited from interventions and collaborating farms and firms have achieved $43 million in total sales.
- Conducting research to reduce persistent acute malnutrition in Kenya’s Samburu and Turkana counties with partner Mercy Corps, under the USAID Nutrition in the ASALs Within Integrated Resilient Institutions (Nawiri) program.
- Conducted a field survey and analysis to better understand the barriers and motivations of rural Kenyan youth to embrace rural agricultural or pastoral livelihood activities when others seek to leave agricultural/pastoral livelihoods.
Governance and Economic Development in Kenya
- Fostering partnerships between Kenyan youth, local industries, and government to enhance employment opportunities for youth through the USAID Kenya Youth Employment and Skills program
- Studied the economic impacts from subsea cables to understand how they changed the economy.
Health in Kenya
- Leader in health systems strengthening and part of a consortium on the USAID Health Policy+ program, working to improve the enabling environment for sustainable health services with an emphasis on family planning and reproductive health (FP/RH), maternal and child health (MCH), and HIV and AIDS.
- Serve as the data collection and analysis center for the Global Network for Women’s and Children’s Health Research. The Network supports and conducts clinical trials in resource-limited countries, including Kenya, to improve maternal and child health and build local research capacity and infrastructure.
- We provide multidisciplinary, sustainable solutions to address the global burden of noncommunicable diseases (NCDs). In Kenya, we worked with the Ministry of Health and the NCD Alliance Kenya to raise awareness and empower country-led strategies to combat NCDs.
- Following the completion of the noncommunicable disease investment case for Kenya, with funding from the World Bank and in collaboration with the Kenyan Ministry of Health, we are conducting an analysis that shows how the return-on-investment for an essential package of cancer care interventions can be improved through task-shifting, community-based care, and other cost-containment strategies to provide significant net positive benefits to Kenya’s citizens.