An Exploration of International Education Assessments
Featured Panel Discussion - Vision and Hearing Screening in LMICs: Challenges and Opportunities
How can a rural teacher screen for hearing loss using a smart phone? How can health providers and teachers collaborate to improve education for children with vision needs? When should a teacher not assess a child’s vision or hearing?
These are questions we grapple with as we strive to provide high-quality instruction to children in low- and middle-income countries, including children with diagnosed or undiagnosed disabilities. As stakeholders develop promising new tools and pilot strategies for screening and supporting children with disabilities, we are collectively gaining insights into strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and limitations.
Please join representatives from RTI International and a panel of distinguished guests for a lively discussion sharing experiences and lessons learned from working with vision and hearing screening tools.
Inclusive Education Expert and Consultant, Former Disability and Gender Specialist at USAID
Director, Strategy, Innovation and Learning Unit, Perkins International
Director, Technology for Education and Training, RTI International
Reception and Exhibition: Innovations in Assessment
Please also join us for a reception during which RTI staff will exhibit innovations in educational assessment including the following:
Early Childhood Education
- Tablet-based assessment of executive function
- Tablet-based classroom formative assessment tool
- Reading disability screening battery
Soft and Social-Emotional Learning Skills
- Game-based assessment of problem-solving and conscientiousness
- Social-emotional learning suite of surveys
- ACASI-based assessment of exposure to violence in schools
Literacy and Disabilities
- Group-administered literacy assessment
- Assessments of early braille and sign language skills
- Tablet-based vision and hearing screening
Following rapid-fire introductions, you will be invited to explore the assessments and ask questions of the experts. Refreshments will be served.