River Basin Operations
Modeling, optimizing and guiding operations of managed river and reservoir systems
River basins around the world are facing complex problems from growing populations and urbanization, increasing temperatures and extreme hydrologic events and natural disasters. As a result, water managers are challenged to meet competing demands between water and food security issues and economic, social and environmental needs.
At the RTI Center for Water Resources, we understand the diverse needs of river basin management and can work with you to make informed, data-driven decisions by implementing robust river basin models. These models feed into real-time forecasting systems, inform water rights and water allocation models, guide irrigation and agricultural water use, and optimize reservoir systems operations. Additionally, these models allow for scenario analysis of the potential impacts of dams, river diversions, climate change and other economic, natural and human impacts in the basin.
We offer customizable solutions that fit your needs—whether we are monitoring systems and providing you with the data or are building a system for you to implement and manage.
Our river basin modeling and reservoir operations services include the following:
- Data collection, preparation and analysis
- Hydrologic and hydraulic modeling and calibration
- Identification of water resources issues and baseline planning needs
- Capacity development for river basin planning and modeling
- Planning studies to define reservoir operating policy
- Reservoir model development and optimization using a variety of models and customized tools
- Ensemble-based reservoir optimization using stochastic sampling
- Operational forecast system implementation using standard or customized systems