Source Water Protection
Identifying and mitigating impacts of land use and human activity on water quality and quantity
To ensure a reliable water supply in the future, understanding watershed conditions and protecting water at the source are critical. Upstream watershed conditions directly impact downstream water quality, water availability, economies, recreational activities and biological habitats.
At the RTI Center for Water Resources, our source water protection services are grounded in a watershed-based approach, recognizing the value of “green infrastructure” and the significant impact that the landscape has on water supply.
We support all levels of government agencies, private organizations and environmentally focused nonprofits in their missions to protect the land and water within a watershed for human and ecological health. We have a long track record of developing and implementing science-based solutions and can help you make the best use of your watershed and source water protection investments.
Our source water protection services include the following:
- Comprehensive watershed modeling
- Land-use change impact analyses
- Conservation planning for water resources
- Green infrastructure planning and assessment
- Data system design and visualization to communicate results
- Cost and/or benefit analysis of watershed management alternatives