Marijuana-focused mass media campaigns of the past focused solely on discouraging initiation and ongoing use. However, with a growing number of states legalizing marijuana for adult recreational use, both the messaging and tone of campaigns has changed. States now recognize the importance of educating consumers about new laws and safe storage. They have the challenge of conveying different messages to adults and youth.
Join us for the fourth RTI Case Studies in Marijuana Policy webinar to learn about the marijuana-focused mass media campaigns of Colorado, Washington and Oregon. We are excited to have three experts in their fields to talk with us about work in their respective states: Jessica Neuwirth of Colorado, Kristen Haley of Washington, and Karen Girard of Oregon. The 1.5 hour-long webinar (with Q&A) will be moderated by RTI expert Jane Allen.
We will discuss:
- How states allocate funding for marijuana-focused campaigns
- Campaign audiences, and how communication goals differ by audience
- Use of formative research to develop messaging, and the degree to which other states can build from this body of work
- Factors influencing media channels
- What is known about campaign effectiveness
- Recommendations for states currently developing marijuana-focused mass media campaigns