Emergence of a new paradigm in understanding the cardiovascular system Pulse synchronized contractions
• The large conduit arteries undergo rhythmic smooth muscle
activation in synchrony with the cardiac cycle.
• The contractions are neurogenic and are denoted as pulse
synchronized contractions (PSCs).
• PSCs are not a movement artifact from the pulse wave or
• The pacemaker for the PSCs is in the right atrium.
• The smooth muscle wall of large arteries can contract as fast as
Mangel, A., & Lothman, K. (2017). Emergence of a new paradigm in understanding the cardiovascular system: Pulse synchronized contractions. Cardiovascular Pharmacology: Open Access, 5(6), . DOI: 10.4172/2329-6607.1000220