Paul Orengoh brings over 17 years of experience in developing, managing, implementing, and evaluating complex water resource and ecosystem management projects. He also has extensive experience in managing programs surrounding safely managed sanitation and hygiene, financial modeling for sustainable WASH services, watershed planning and management, conservation education, climate change and adaptation, sustainable livelihoods, and food security and agricultural development in several African countries.
Dr. Orengoh currently serves as Chief of Party with the USAID Western Kenya Sanitation Project. He oversees overall management overall management of the project, including supervising project implementation and ensuring that the project meets all goals and reporting requirements. Dr. Orengoh also serves as the project’s primary point of contact, and within that capacity, coordinates with USAID, key stakeholders, and implementing partners. Dr. Orengoh previously served at RTI as a Water Programs Lead for Africa.
A strategic relationship builder, Dr. Orengoh brings experience in establishing market sanitation systems, strengthening Water Resource User Associations, leading institutional reengineering of water and sanitation management institutions, developing management plans, leading socio-economic studies, cultivating sustainable public-private partnerships, and implementing projects funded by the U.S. Agency for International Development, the World Bank, the U.K. Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office, the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency, the European Union, KfW Development Bank, and the Asian Development Bank.
He also served as Deputy Executive Secretary and Director of Programs for African Ministers’ Council on Water (AMCOW), Chief of Party and Climate Change Lead for the USAID Kenya Feed the Future Innovation Engine (KFIE), Deputy Chief of Party and Field Coordinator for the USAID ProMara Program, and Senior Technical Advisor for the Water Sector Reforms Program at The World Bank, among others.
Dr. Orengoh is an Associate Professor of Hydroclimatology at The Institute of Climate Change and Adaptation, University of Nairobi. He is fluent in English and Kiswahili, and learning French.
His professional associations and memberships include:
- Co-Chair of the World Water Quality Alliance
- Chair: African Groundwater strategic advisory committee-
- Alternate Chair: African International Taskforce on Sanitation (AITS-S)
- Science Community Representative: UN Environment’s Science, Policy and Business Forum
- Member: The International Association of Hydrogeologists (IAH)
- Co-Chair: Kenya National Air Quality Network
- Member- Foreign Correspondents Association of East Africa
- Associate Member: Chartered Institute of Public Communicators, UK
- Founding Member: Conservation Education Society of Kenya
- Certified Project Management Professional: The Project Management Institute