Dr. Rengaswamy Sankaranarayanan is a senior medical advisor at RTI International India, a wholly owned subsidiary of RTI International, USA. Dr. Sankaranarayanan is responsible for the overall strategy and functioning of the Health division, which involves carving out a road map for health practice in the Indian social and development space.
Dr. Sankaranarayanan completed postdoctoral training at the Pittsburgh Cancer Institute and University of Cambridge MRC Biostatistics Unit. He is a trained clinical oncologist with more than 40 years of experience in research, planning, implementing, and evaluating programs for cancer screening, control, and information systems at the population, programmatic, and hospital contexts. His clinical skills, wide and prolonged exposure to programs at the ground level, cancer health services in different resource settings, and knowledge in cancer epidemiology are particularly useful in helping deliver a broad range of interventions at the public health level.
Recently appointed as a member of the Advisory Board of the India-UK Cancer Research Initiative, Dr. Sankaranarayanan was last working as a Special Advisor on Cancer Control for the World Health Organization-International Agency for Research on Cancer (WHO-IARC), based in Lyon, France.
Awards and Accolades
- British Society for Colposcopy and Cervical Pathology Founder’s Medal, UK, 2017
- Rio Grande Sul State Legislature Medal for Services Towards Women’s Cancer Prevention, Porto Alegre, Brazil, 2017
- Ernst Wertheim Prize, Vienna, Austria, 2015
- Lalla Salma Foundation International Prize, Morocco, 2014
- Singapore Society of Colposcopy and Cervical Pathology Gold medal, Singapore, 2009
- Ruby Hall Award for Excellence in Oncology, Pune, India, 2007
- Paul P Carbone Award for International Oncology, 2007