2019 National Opioid and Emerging Drug Threats Forum
RTI expert Jeri Ropero-Miller will speak at the 2019 National Opioid and Emerging Drug Threats Forum hosted by the Forensic Technology Center of Excellence (FTCoE) and the National Institute of Justice (NIJ) held from July 18-19 in Washington, D.C.
This Forum will convene stakeholders to discuss the consequences of the opioid epidemic, including its impact on public safety, public health and the criminal justice response by addressing topics at the policy level and elaborating on best practices for forensic laboratories.
Ropero-Miller will join other notable industry speakers, including
- Michael Gottlieb, Deputy Chief of Staff, Office of National Drug Control Policy
- Dr. David Muhlhausen, Director, NIJ
- Amanda Liskamm, Director, Opioid Enforcement and Prevention Efforts in the Office of the Deputy Attorney General and the Department of Justice
- Dr. Jonathan Arden, 2019 President, National Association of Medical Examiners
Dr. Jeffrey Locke, Program Director, National Governors Association Center for Best Practices Homeland Security & Public Safety Division
To view the full list of presenters and their bios, download the program guide.
The main goals of the Forum are to:
- Promote cooperative initiatives to efficiently leverage available funding,
- Identify and promote scientific research, best practices and lessons learned for forensic science organizations and practitioners,
- Assess strategies to improve surveillance methodologies to encourage use and collaboration of existing programs, and
- Identify strategies for workforce development, casework efficiency and issues related to increased caseloads in forensic science organizations.
On July 18, RTI will host an open networking reception to promote further conversations based on the discussion during the Forum. Join us at Capitol City Brewing Company, around the corner from the event, from 5:00–7:00 pm to continue the conversation on how to strengthen our response to this complex crisis.
Learn more about RTI’s opioid research and view our opioid brochure, Opioids In America: A Complex Crisis. A Comprehensive Response.