International Education Projects: Philippines
EdData II: Strengthening Information for Education, Policy, Planning and Management in the Philippines (PhilEd Data Project) (2012-2013)
United States Agency for International Development
Following the data capacity assessment carried out by RTI International (RTI) under the Education Data for Decision Making (EdData II) project, USAID/Philippines is pursuing additional assistance to help build the capacity of the Philippine Department of Education (DepED) in several key technical areas. EdData II is a contract mechanism whose principal role is to improve the accuracy, timeliness, accessibility, and use of data for education policy and program planning.
The purpose of this project is to help DepED make better use of existing data; generate and extract maximum value from new data; and build capacity for ongoing data generation, management, and analysis. The data capacity assessment identified several areas where DepED capacity to use data could be improved.
Activities and Results
- Assist DepED's National Education Testing and Research Center to analyze the validity and reliability of the national standardized examinations and assessment tools currently being used. In conjunction with leading education researchers from the Philippines Institute for Development Studies (PIDS), RTI will work closely with DepED–and in particular, with the National Education Testing and Research Center (NETRC)–to build their capacity to mine up to six years of results from two national assessments: the National Achievement Test (NAT) and the National Career Assessment Examination (NCAE).
- Pilot a national, sample-based Early Grade Reading Assessment (EGRA) to establish a baseline relative to the goal of all children learning to read in the early grades of elementary school. RTI will work closely with Philippine curriculum and language experts and with DepED officials to adapt the EGRA instrument for application in early grades in the Philippines. In collaboration with a local survey organization and with DepED, we will draw a nationally representative sample of schools in which to implement the EGRA. RTI will work closely with DepED to analyze and promulgate the results of the evaluation of students' reading skills, helping to both build capacity for ongoing assessment and analytical work and to develop further support for President Aquino's initiative to make sure children learn to read in the first grade.
- Assist DepED in developing reporting formats for national assessment results that are consistent with its overarching objectives of transparency and accountability and that support the Department's strategic communications objectives. RTI will draw on its experience designing district and school report cards in other countries to help DepED gain the capacity to prepare similar communications. They will learn to combine data from the education management information system (EMIS) and assessment results to create concise, useful reports that can provide information for school- and district-level dialogue and improvement planning. RTI will introduce DepED to data tools that can be customized to their needs and that can facilitate the production of report cards.
- Provide technical assistance and advise the development of new national benchmark assessments in line with the elementary (K–6) and lower secondary (7–10) curricular and structural reforms that are part of the K–12 initiative Support. The K–12 reform includes revamping the content, scope, sequence, and pacing of the primary and secondary school curriculums. New curriculum has already been developed for primary grades K–6.
- EdData II: Education Data for Decision-Making (brochure)
- Education Data for Decision Making (EdData) II (2004-2013) (project description)
- EdData II (website)